ABOUT REICH & BINSTOCK
Josh is a trial attorney who has protected the interests of individuals and businesses in a variety of legal matters over the course of his career.
Josh’s focus is providing top-notch representation to individuals and their families who have been injured by the misconduct of the country’s largest and most powerful companies. Since joining Reich & Binstock from a prestigious local business litigation boutique, Josh has represented plaintiffs in courts across the United States, focusing on injuries caused by pharmaceuticals, medical devices, toxic substances, and the negligence of others. Additionally, Josh represents former Boy Scouts who suffered abuse for claims currently pending in the Boy Scouts of America bankruptcy proceedings. He also litigates cases filed under newly enacted “window” laws seeking to hold sexual abusers and abuse enablers liable in court. Josh also represents multiple governmental entities in complex multidistrict litigation stemming from the public hazards caused by several harmful products, including opioids and JUUL e-cigarettes.
Josh has been named to Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters since 2020 and was added to the Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” list in 2021. Josh is also a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Houston Trial Lawyers Association, and the American Association for Justice.
Prior to entering private practice, Josh had the privilege of working in the busiest federal trial court in the United States, proudly serving as law clerk to U.S. District Judge Alia Moses in the Del Rio Division of the Western District of Texas.
Outside of work, Josh enjoys watching football, cooking delicious meals, and spending time with his wife Elissa and their son Wesley.
Mr. Bauer’s experience includes claims for:
- breach of contract,
- trademark infringement,
- theft of trade secrets,
- franchise disputes,
- regulatory compliance,
- Jones Act claims,
- insurance coverage disputes, and
- breach of fiduciary duty.
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2014)
American University (B.A., 2009)
Honors & Distinctions
Named to Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters (2020)
Best Lawyers ‘Ones To Watch’ (2021)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern, Northern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Anti-Defamation League (Member of the 2017-18 Glass Leadership Institute)
Past Employment Positions
Before entering private practice, Mr. Bauer worked in the busiest federal trial court in the United States, proudly serving as a law clerk to U.S. District Judge Alia Moses in Del Rio, Texas.
- Trial counsel (2nd Chair) for an offshore marine and sub-sea construction support company in a $33 million dispute regarding alleged breaches of charterparty, equipment rental, and personnel services agreements entered into for a project in Nigeria.
- Trial counsel for an oil and natural gas exploration and production company against a multi-million dollar Jones Act negligence claim stemming from an alleged workplace accident on an offshore drilling platform.
- Trial counsel representing private investors in a $50 million dispute relating to the dissolution of a long-term acute care hospital investment project. The allegations include fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, gross negligence, and negligent misrepresentation.
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief on behalf of a directional drilling company against several former employees who had misappropriated trade secrets from and unfairly competed against their former employer, leading to a favorable settlement for the client.
- Successfully briefed and argued against a Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 60(b) motion, which if granted would have unwound a final judgment previously obtained for a firm client of over $1 million.
- Advising a property and casualty insurer in an eight-figure insurance coverage dispute over the assignability of insurance policies under an asset purchase agreement.
- Successfully defended against a motion to dismiss under the Texas Citizens’ Participation Act and prevailed on the subsequent appeal on a matter of first impression, leading to a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented an international engineering firm in a breach of contract dispute relating to engineering design services for a petrochemical plant in China. On the eve of trial, the defendants agreed to enter into a settlement agreement, under which the client obtained nearly all of its originally pleaded damages.
- Obtained a favorable resolution on behalf of a major oil and gas producer in a dispute over the terms of a joint operating agreement.
- Advised a major refiner in a multi-million dollar lien dispute between its contractor and subcontractor concerning cost overruns and delay damages.
- Lead counsel for a large manufacturing client in a breach of warranty claim, ultimately leading to a settlement for the client that was significantly lower than the plaintiff’s original demand.
Recent Amendments to the Texas Citizens’ Participation Act (Relief at Last?) (April 2020)
Assignability of Insurance Rights in Corporate Transactions, Client Presentation (November 2018)
There is a never a fee unless we recover on your behalf.