Houston Trucking Accident Attorney
Have you been involved in a truck accident that injured you or a loved one? Contact a Houston trucking accident attorney at Reich & Binstock. Our accident lawyers fight for those who have been injured in trucking or 18-wheeler accidents in Houston.
We negotiate with insurance companies to get you the compensation you deserve and are prepared to go to trial if you aren’t offered a fair settlement.
The Damage Can Be Catastrophic
Truck companies and drivers are required to abide by strict federal and local laws. Truck accident claims can be more complex than passenger vehicle accident claims because trucks must abide by stricter laws and regulations and because these accidents can sometimes result in more serious injuries. These crashes might also involve more negligent parties, such as truck companies and their drivers. If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident, seek justice and compensation for your losses today. Contact Reich & Binstock, a truck accident law firm in Houston, Texas, as soon as possible.
If you’ve been in a 18-wheeler or big rig accident, you may want to speak to a trucking accident attorney like Reich & Binstock today.
Proving the Trucker was Negligent
Losing a family member to a trucking accident is devastating. The loss of a loved one resulting from a truck driver’s negligence is something that no one should have to endure. Although the tragic events that took the life of a loved one cannot be undone, seeking justice through a wrongful death lawsuit may hold accountable those who are responsible for that loss.
The circumstances presented in the aftermath of an 18-wheeler accident are unique and should be handled by experienced trucking accident attorneys who have a proven track record and who can offer a truck accident victim the representation that he or she deserves.
The trucking accident lawyers at Reich & Binstock have been protecting the rights of personal injury victims since 1984, and they have the know-how to get the job done right. Our firm can:
- investigate your case,
- gather police reports,
- review trucking logs,
- pull information from shipping schedules
- look into the truck driver’s record, and
- investigate the trucking company responsible for your loved one’s injuries or death.
Furthermore, if a truck company pressured a driver to break the law or if a truck driver broke federal hours of service laws, the Houston trucking accident attorneys at Reich & Binstock may be able to hold driver and company accountable.
Why Do I Need a Houston Trucking Accident Lawyer?
In the aftermath of an 18-wheeler or truck accident, victims and their families might find themselves facing long rehabilitation periods, missed time from work due to their injuries, and they may find themselves struggling to make ends meet. Accidents involving 18-wheelers or tractor-trailers can result in extremely serious injuries and even death. The sheer weight and size of tractor-trailers make these accidents much more destructive than a collision involving smaller automobiles may be. The destruction is often exacerbated by the heavy freight that these massive machines carry.
Injuries sustained in a tractor-trailer accident can leave the victim permanently disabled, persistently in pain, or both. Seeking justice for injuries sustained in an 18-wheeler accident is one of the only ways to hold the trucking company or the truck driver accountable. The pursuit of justice in a truck accident lawsuit also helps to ensure that truck drivers abide by safety regulations.
What Cause Truck Accidents in Houston?
Most crashes are the result of human error. Truck drivers are not exempt from responsibility. In fact, truck drivers and truck companies are held to a higher standard than passenger vehicle drivers because trucks carry heavier weights and pose a greater risk to the public. What are some causes of trucking accidents in Houston, Texas?
- Driver Fatigue. Truck drivers are required to abide by strict hours of service laws. Drivers cannot operate a truck for longer than 11 hours in a workday and they must stop working 14 hours after they initially clock in. Rest is important to good driving. Tired drivers are more likely to make critical errors behind the wheel. In fact, research has shown that tired drivers can be just as dangerous as drunk drivers, in some situations.
- Health Issues. Certain types of health issues can make a driver less safe behind the wheel. For example, certain kinds of medications can impact a driver’s alertness. Truck drivers are required to undergo medical examinations before they can get a commercial driver’s license, but truck companies also have a responsibility to vet their drivers.
- Mechanical Issues. When a truck suffers a blown tire, brake failure, or mechanical failure, the consequences can be far more serious. A blown tire can result in a driver losing control of his or her vehicle. Brake failure can lead to serious accidents. Truck companies have a responsibility to perform regular maintenance on vehicles. When truck companies put their bottom lines above safety, accidents can happen.
- Distracted Driving. Truck drivers, like other drivers, should put down their cell phones when driving. However, if a driver is checking his or her GPS, answering a call, or checking text messages, accidents can happen.
- Drunk Driving and Drugged Driving. Unfortunately, truck drivers, like other drivers are subject to the same vices suffered by the general population, If truck drivers abuse pain killers or other substances, they can seriously endanger others on the road.
These are just some of the factors that can lead to truck accidents. When truck accidents occur, there may be many stakeholders involved, from truck drivers to truck companies.
What is Considered a Semi Truck Accident?
Any accident involving a truck will be traumatic and possibly life-changing. The sheer size and weight of 18-wheelers are overwhelming. Pedestrians and small cars don't stand a chance against the incredible force of trucks. Truck accidents involving large commercial vehicles, like 18-wheelers can cause serious injuries or death.
Who is Responsible in an Accident with an 18 Wheeler?
Commercial truck drivers must follow strict safety guidelines. However, this does not mean they're always compliant. Lack of attention to safety guidelines can cause catastrophic truck accidents, especially in busy cities, like Houston.
How Long Does it Takes to Settle a Semi Truck Accident Case?
Truck accident lawsuits present challenges because there are often multiple lines of insurance. The truck and trailer are often owned by two separate corporations and are insured by different carriers.
Companies are generally responsible for the actions of their employees. As a result, when a commercial or company vehicle is involved in an accident, the drive and the company may be liable for injuries.
What Damages Can I Recover in a Truck Accident Case?
Victims of Houston trucking accidents may be able to seek recover for damages. These damages could include (but aren't limited to):
- surgery cost
- medical treatment cost
- medical bills
- pain and suffering
- mental and emotional suffering
- loss of quality of life
- nursing home care costs
- disfigurement and permanent scarring
- rehabilitation fees
- loss of income
- decreased earning capacity for future
- loss of consortium
How Dangerous are Trucking Accidents in Houston?
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 4,102 people died in truck crashes in 2017. These numbers don’t begin to account for the many people who survive truck accidents with serious injuries. Houston highways are subject to heavy truck traffic. This volume of truck traffic puts Houston residents at an added risk of suffering injuries in truck accidents. Furthermore, oilfield traffic and other large trucks on the road can pose an added risk to passenger vehicles.
Call an Experienced Houston Trucking Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one has been the victim of an accident involving a tractor-trailer, 18-wheeler, or another industrial vehicle, damages may be recoverable. For a free consultation to determine whether you are entitled to compensation, and thus the peace of mind and financial relief from the costs of medical treatment, contact one of the Houston trucking accident attorneys at Reich & Binstock. Either use our contact form or call 713-622-7271 or 800-622-7271 toll free.
There is a never a fee unless we recover on your behalf.