DEFECTIVE MEDICAL DEVICES & PHARMACEUTICAL INJURIES
Houston Hernia Mesh Lawyers
Our experienced defective medical device attorneys at Reich and Binstock are currently investigating claims that certain hernia surgical mesh implants are defective and have caused serious injuries to hernia surgery patients.
Because of the litany of adverse and potentially serious side effects, patients across the country are filing lawsuits against the manufacturers of hernia mesh. The lawsuits allege the that the manufactures are liable for:
- Manufacturing a defective product
- Failing to adequately test hernia mesh
- Failing to warn the public about the risks of mesh
- Intentionally, knowingly and recklessly concealing information about the defective mesh
- Intentionally misrepresenting the quality and safety of hernia mesh
- Negligently designing and marketing unsafe hernia mesh
What is a Hernia?
A hernia refers to when an organ, intestine or fatty tissue squeezes through a hole or a weak spot in the surrounding muscle or connective tissue.
Are Hernias Common?
The most common types of hernias are:
- Inguinal: occurs in the inner groin
- Femoral: occurs in the upper thigh/outer groin
- Incisional: occurs through an incision or scar in the abdomen
- Ventral: occurs in the general abdominal/ventral wall
- Umbilical: occurs at the belly button
- Hiatal: occurs inside the abdomen, along the upper stomach/diaphragm
What Treatment Options are Available for Hernias?
According to the FDA, there are both non-surgical and surgical treatment options for hernias:
- Wait and See-With this option, your doctor will monitor the hernia to ensure that it is not getting larger or causing complications. Watchful waiting is an option for people who do not have complications or symptoms with their hernias.
- Laparoscopic - The surgeon makes several small incisions in the abdomen that allow surgical tools into the openings to repair the hernia. Laparoscopic surgery can be performed with or without surgical mesh.
- Open Repair - The surgeon makes an incision near the hernia and the weak muscle area is repaired. Open repair can be done with or without surgical mesh. Open repair that uses sutures without mesh is referred to as primary closure. Primary closure is used to repair inguinal hernias in infants, small hernias, strangulated or infected hernias.
What is Surgical Mesh?
Surgical mesh is a medical device that can be made of animal tissue or synthetic materials. These pieces of mesh come in many sizes including patches, plugs and larger sheets of mesh. Surgical mesh made of synthetic materials come in woven or non-woven sheets. The synthetic materials can be absorbable, non-absorbable or a combination of both.
Why is Hernia Mesh Causing Problems?
Surgeons perform about 800,000 hernia repairs every year, with the majority of those repairs involving hernia mesh. However, these mesh implants have been shown to lead to complications, including:
- Pain & bleeding
- Hernia recurrence
- Mesh shrinkage
- Intestinal blockage
- Organ perforations
- Nerve damage
- Autoimmune reactions to mesh
- Mesh migration and rejection
Have Any Hernia Mesh Product Recalls Been Issued?
In 2013, the FDA issued a recall on one of Atrium's C-QUR hernia mesh products after finding that the fish oil coating is alleged to cause the mesh to curl and deform inside the body.
Ethicon voluntarily recalled certain models of the Physiomesh in 2016 after studies revealed high hernia recurrence rates in patient with specific hernia mesh implanted.
Am I Eligible for a Hernia Mesh Lawsuit?
If you've undergone hernia repair surgery and received a hernia mesh implant, you may be entitled to compensation, even if you're unsure what type of hernia mesh you have.
Houston Hernia Mesh Lawyers
If you or someone you know has suffered health issues as a result of hernia mesh, call us at at 713-622-7271 or fill out our contact form below for a free and confidential consultation about your legal options. From our office in Houston, we represent clients nationwide who have been injured by defective medical devices, including hernia mesh.
There is a never a fee unless we recover on your behalf.