ABOUT REICH & BINSTOCK
Robert J. Binstock
“Bob” Binstock is a trial attorney with over thirty-nine years of experience. Mr. Binstock is known for his ability to take on diverse and complex litigation spanning across areas such as mass and class actions focusing on defective medical devices, product liability, toxic tort, medical malpractice, personal injury, bad faith insurance and pharmaceutical litigation. Mr. Binstock has served on an array of Court Appointed Plaintiff’s Steering Committees for numerous MDLs and has served as lead or co-lead counsel in a multitude of large-scale property damage cases. Mr. Binstock has successfully obtained recoveries for thousands of clients.
Mr. Binstock was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He attended college at the University of Pittsburgh and subsequently earned his law degree from South Texas College of Law. He began his law career in 1981. In 1985, Mr. Binstock co-founded the Law Firm of Reich and Binstock, LLP.
Reich & Binstock, LLP is an AV Preeminent-rated law firm based in Houston, Texas. The scope of the practice is broad and has focused on redressing injuries to large numbers of consumers, business and property owners. As evidenced by some of the representative cases listed below, Mr. Binstock has worked with lawyers throughout the nation in obtaining beneficial outcomes for his clients.
- Cause No. 09CV-0147; Bakht Khattak vs. TWIA: The Texas Windstorm Insurance Association paid an estimated $189 million to settle a large block of Hurricane-Ike related lawsuits. The settlement was paid to those who had that were completely destroyed by Ike. Mr. Binstock worked with the team of lawyers representing the homeowners. Mr. Binstock was responsible for hiring the team of wind experts who discredited TWIA’s claim that only 11% of the homeowners’ damages were the result of wind vs. flooding.
Cause Nos. 04-99-00872-CV, 04-99-00873-CV, 04-99-00874-CV.: Jeannie Martinez, et al., v. City of San Antonio, et al.; William Hernandez, et al., v. Via Metropolitan Transit, et al.; Eric T. Ferguson, et al., v. Alamo Iron Works, Inc., et al.: Approximately six-hundred San Antonio residents claimed to have been injured and their homes diminished in value as a result of exposure to lead contaminated soils excavated from the site of a former iron foundry during construction of the Alamodome Sports Complex. In three separate lawsuits, which were later consolidated for discovery purposes, the residents named numerous defendants, including the City of San Antonio, VIA Metropolitan Transit (“VIA”) (developer of the Alamodome project), and Alamo Iron Works (prior owner of the iron foundry). Plaintiffs were represented by Mr. Binstock.
- Las Villas Del Parque v. Colony Insurance Company and Cecil Henigsmith: Mr. Binstock represented owners of an apartment complex in this post-Hurricane Ike case wherein Defendants failed and refused to adequately investigate or fully compensate Plaintiff for damages suffered to Plaintiff’s commercial property caused by the storm.
- Cause No. 98CI-15822; Susan Powers, et al vs. Newell Industries, Inc. et al: Mr. Binstock represented Plaintiffs in this lead contamination case involving over 500 Plaintiffs who were exposed to heavy metals such as arsenic, lead and cadmium that were emitted from a poorly controlled recycling plant. The case culminated in a multi-million-dollar settlement.
- Cause No. 90-63442; Eura D. Charles, et al vs. Kings Park Apartments, et al: Mr. Binstock represented Plaintiffs in this cause of action which involved the improper application of Chlordane at an apartment complex. As a result, over 250 tenants were exposed to harmful levels of this pesticide. The case culminated in a confidential settlement.
- Cause No. 03-cv-327-GKF-PJC; Betty Jean Cole, et al vs. Asarco, Inc., et al: In this former lead and zinc mining area, Mr. Binstock represented over 500 Plaintiffs in the Tar Creek community for compensatory and punitive damages for diminution in property values, exposure to dangerous levels of lead and other heavy metals and hazardous substances. The case culminated a multi-million-dollar settlement.
- Cause No. C-4885-99F; Alicia Acevedo, et al. vs. Union Pacific Railroad Company, et al.: Mr. Binstock represented over 1000 plaintiffs who worked or lived near a pesticide formulating and mixing facility that operated in Mission, Texas. Injuries included various illnesses, including Lymphatic cancer. The case culminated in a confidential settlement.
- Cause No. 08-68; Cleon Abrams, Sr. et al. vs. Ciba Specialty Chemicals Corporation, et al.: Mr. Binstock represented Plaintiffs in this cause of action which involved DDT contamination. The case culminated in a confidential settlement.
- Cause No. 98B-51; Oleta Aaron, et al. vs. Azko Nobel Coating, Inc.: Mr. Binstock represented Plaintiffs in this cause of action which involved PCB and vinyl chloride contamination. This case culminated in a confidential settlement.
- Cause No. H-10-4440; Mia Reed Properties v. United Fire and Casualty Co.: Hurricane Ike case involving damage to a large shopping center in Houston, Texas. Mr. Binstock successfully settled this matter on behalf of his client, Mia Reed.
- Cause No. 06-10-644-877-c Mark Doss et al v. Benco Construction and the City of Victoria: This case involved fifty families who claimed that Benco Construction Company blocked the storm drainage system in their neighborhood, causing their homes to flood. This case culminated in a confidential settlement.
- Schwoyer v. FedEx Ground and Package System Inc., and David F. Rebholz: This case included nine other related actions. Mr. Binstock represented FedEx driver across the nation in this wage violation cause of action wherein Plaintiffs were misclassified as independent contractors and were thereby denied rights, privileges and benefits owed to them as employees. This case culminated in a confidential settlement.
Multi-District Litigation (MDL)
Mr. Binstock served a leadership position on the Court Appointed MDL PSCs for the following nationally significant cases:
- MDL No. 1407; In re: Phenylpropanolamine (“PPA”) Products Liability Litigation
- MDL No. 2846; In re: Davol, Inc./C.R. Bard Inc. Polypropylene Hernia Mesh Products Liability Litigation
- MDL No. 5052; In re: Connor Batham v JUUL Labs Inc Lab et al
- MDL No. 2754; In re: Eliquis (Apixaban) Products Liability Litigation
Honors and Accomplishments
- Voted Texas Super Lawyer 2007-2021
- Named to Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Named to Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Honored as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers – National Board of Trial Lawyers – 2011-2015
- Member Registry for Business Excellence – American Registry LLC
- AV® Preeminent – Martindale-Hubbell
- Chair AAJ Zimmer Durom Cup Litigation Group
- AVVO Rating 10.0 out of 10
- Lawyers of Distinction 2021
Admissions & Board Certifications
- Supreme Court of the United States (October 1, 1990)
- Supreme Court of Texas (May 14, 1982)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas (August 9, 1982)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas (October 11, 1983)
- U.S. District Court of Arizona (April 16, 1993)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit (September 18, 1989)
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit (November 1982)
- Licensed in Texas (1981)
- Board Certified – Personal Injury Trial Law Texas Board of Legal Specialization (1993)
- Board Certified -Civil Trial Advocacy-National Board of Trial Advocacy (2002)
- Board Certified – Pre-trial Discovery – National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Admitted to the Federal Court of Claims (October 16, 2017)
- American Association of Justice
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Foundation
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Million Dollar Advocates
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates
- Voted Texas Super Lawyer 2007 to 2021
Pro Bono Activities
Co-Founder and current Board Member, River Performing and Visual Arts Center, a non-profit charity that provides art enrichment courses, summer camp and outreach programs for children with disabilities.
There is a never a fee unless we recover on your behalf.